Saturday 11 August 2012

Observations

Today my partner and I spoke on the phone... He was at work whilst I was merely doing the washing, cleaning, running around after two kids, mother and various pets... Papa called as I was preparing lunch for my two gymnasts in training... Well, they were on the trampoline doing 'Tricks' prior to doing the long jump in my flower beds come mud pits. They were consequently hungry and whiny.... Anyhow, papa calls to discuss our impending house move... Had I called the solicitors yet? "Why can't you call them? I ask. "I'm too busy." came the reply. "Not too busy to call me." I said... This was probably not the most tactful of responses but I did have a six year old trying to spoon feed himself chocolate spread at the time. "I'm sorry," came the reply, "But some of us work for a living!".... I am now at my mothers.... Alone!

...

That sounded more dramatic than it actually is. I had to bring my Mum back as she won't drive down to us by herself and after travelling with her dog in the back of the car I can understand why. But I did leave papa and the kids at home, despite papas protestations to 'please take one of them with you.'

I have now just received the cryptic message that I should 'enjoy a child free night away and take my time coming back tomorrow' ... Yes I am doing the 200 mile trip back in the morning as I am the only one in the family who drives (papa believes that some people are born to drive, others to be driven... please see the post 1953 as that is obviously an era papa would like to live in..). Now I have to rush back in the morning as I am guilt ridden, which I am sure was the desired effect....

On the way up here we stopped off at a service station where the Olympics were on every screen. In front of each screen were the supporters all munching on their Burger Kings and KFC and commentating on each sport most knowledgeably and quite loudly ensuring that everyone could take note of their supreme sporting intellect. What struck me most was the fact that whilst nearly all of them were kitted out in full sports regalia with the latest trainers and Team GB sporting paraphernalia  not one of them, male or female, looked like they had ever set foot on a sports field or in a gym of any kind, let alone ride a bicycle or dive.. In fact I imagine the only races any of them could run would have to involve motorbility scooters.... So how they all got to be so knowledgable is anyone's guess.....

No comments:

Post a Comment