Wednesday 5 September 2012

Excuses Excuses.....

The novelty of being back at school definitely wore off today. As he sat in the bath TJ announced, "I won't be going back to school again, I've had enough of that." Well, they say that disappointment is part of growing up and that is a lesson TJ will learn in the morning....

My mother called today, she has reluctantly agreed to look after the boys over half term - just for a night, not for the whole week, I need to keep on speaking terms with her. This is so that Papa and I can attend a dear friend's wedding and we get to stay away for a whole night. This will be the first time we have spent a night away without the children since they arrived 18months ago. In order to ensure my Mum has as trouble free a day as possible we have arranged that the boys can attend football club for the day, so all Mum has to do is get them into school, which will be a two minute walk away and by the time they are ready to be picked up Papa and I will be home. So all is organised and fine until.....

Mum calls me this afternoon, she is concerned about the stay over. We will have moved into our new house by then, which seems to cause the most concern. The conversation went something like this:

"I'm a bit worried about looking after the children, what if they misbehave?"
"Mum, they are 6 and 7, they will be in bed by 7 and you just have to take them to school in the morning."
"but what time will you be leaving on the first day?"
"Probably in the morning."
"So what should I do with them for the whole day?"
"Let them show you around the area, take the dog for a walk, go to the park, play in the garden."
"What if it's raining?"
"Then put on a DVD, let them play in their rooms."
"How does your oven work?"
"I don't know yet."
"So if you don't know how will I?"
"I'll show you before we go."
"What will the children eat?"
"We can ask them."
"Wha about me, what will I eat?"
"Mum, if all else fails there is a chip shop nearby."
"But I won't have the car and I don't want to walk."
"Then order pizza, they deliver to the door."

She thought about this,

"But I don't like pizza."

By now I realised how ridiculous this conversation was becoming.

"Mum," I said, "You raised three children, you can look after two for one night."
"You're right," she admitted, " I'm just being silly aren't I?"
"Yes, mum, you will be fine."

So hopefully we are back on track for Mum to look after my little ones and we can get that much needed night away... If it all goes well we are aiming to persuade her to have them for a week!!!! (Just don't tell her....)

No comments:

Post a Comment