Tuesday 24 July 2012

Summer Holidays - Day 5

We are now 5 days into the long summer break and so far it's all going well.

Today was the hottest day of the year so far and the children decided they would like to go out into the garden and paint. The thought of this filled me with dread. The younger boy, TJ can usually be left outside painting quietly. He often sings to himself whilst he is creating his masterpiece and it's a really sweet thing to watch. However, the minute you add in the whirlwind that is his older brother then all hell usually breaks loose and the paint ends up everywhere except where it is supposed to be. So, I was hesitant in granting my permission for this exercise, however, I need to catch up on a few emails, so decided to allow the painting to commence.

To be honest, it was quite uneventful, TJ painted a beautiful picture for Papa and Lea painted some seashells she had collected for me. Lovely. I decided to leave them to it and popped inside to do some work.

After a few minutes I noticed the silence from outside.... Alarm bells went off, my children are never silent... Never! I poked my head out of the back door just in time to see Lea take aim at TJ's smiling mouth with a golf club! "What are you doing?" I yelled just as the golf club swung back over Lea's shoulder. "I need a new Beyblade," TJ replied nonchalantly and Lea is helping me to get the five pounds I need." For those of you without small children, particularly small boys, Beyblade is a throwing toy that is marketed using very poor Japanese animation on Nickelodeon. It's TJ's current addiction, last week it was Bakugan and the week before that... Well, you get the picture. Needless to say neither child has ever been addicted to the toys I wanted them to play with, trains, scalextric, buckaroo... They are far too boring!

Anyhow, back to the unfolding scene in the garden with two small kids and a golf club. I looked incredulously at the younger boy. "And how is letting your sister hit you in the mouth going to get you five pounds?" I asked, "I know he doesn't even have five pounds to give you." "I'm not giving him five pounds," said Lea triumphantly, "The tooth fairy will!"

Yes, it turned out that my sadistic older child had persuaded her younger brother that if she knocked out five of his teeth that he would have enough money for his Beyblade. Looking on the bright side, at least her addition was sound.

Later that day on the way back from therapy I had a black Range Rover tailgating me and the woman at the wheel was obviously very angry with me, even without the ability to lip read I knew the words she was using would not be suitable to be written here... I wasn't sure what I was doing or had done. Then I adjusted my rear view mirror to see two small kids giving the lady 'the bird' and flicking 'v's at her.... I went ballistic! No tv this evening!

As I sit here typing this TJ is on the toilet. I have just had the ominous request to "Come here..." "Why?" I asked. "I want to show you something!" came the reply. Good grief last time that happened he wanted me to take a picture of his pooh as he was sure it was big enough to go into the Guiness Book of World Records.... And to be fair, it probably was!

No comments:

Post a Comment